Esperanza is hiring a part-time Director of Operations (DO); this position is our only paid staff member. Reporting directly to the Board, the DO will be responsible for directing and managing day-to-day operations.
In addition to being passionate about our vision and mission, the DO must be highly responsible, organized, self-motivated, efficient, and thoughtful.
- Development: Work with Board and Development Committee to execute and grow fundraising strategy, with opportunity to increase your hours, salary, and responsibility by developing new sources of funding. Submit foundation grant applications and letters of intent. Coordinate logistics of annual benefit concert.
- Volunteer Relations: Manage database of volunteers. Connect new volunteers to Esperanza and reply to inquiries from potential volunteers.
- Marketing: Maintain Esperanza volunteer lists and work with the Communications Chair to maintain Esperanza website and social media accounts. Create and send regular newsletter and emails in MailChimp.
- Scholar Relations: Collect proof of enrollment, tuition bills, transcripts, and progress reports from scholars and track scholar progress (using surveys) and academic status. Serve as main point of contact for scholars with Esperanza. Support planning for annual orientation event for new scholars and annual Career Day.
- Committee Support: Support in scholar selection process. Respond to general inquiries from applicants. Produce scholar biographies. Work with Committee Co-Chairs to secure venues, vendors, and print materials for all events and programs., including an annual Career Day for scholars.
- Operations: Keep track of legal requirements and filing deadlines. Manage organization’s calendar and internal files. Respond to general email and phone inquiries.
- Finance: Coordinate with accounting support to retrieve and deposit checks. Disburse scholarship funds. Send tax-exempt and thank-you letters to donors.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join a diverse team of young professionals in leading a unique, successful nonprofit organization. An ideal candidate would not only excel at the above-listed operational responsibilities but seek to grow the job by creating new initiatives for improving the organization. Although we will consider candidates who already have full-time careers, an ideal candidate will treat Esperanza as his or her top priority.
We are also looking for the following characteristics:
- You believe in what we do.
- You are highly self-motivated and proactively solve problems you encounter in your work.
- You feel a strong sense of responsibility, pride, and ownership in whatever you do.
- You are organized, detail-oriented, and efficient.
- You love spreadsheets.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You are a “people person,” and you enjoy working in a team.
- You have a strong educational background. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- You have excellent work references.
- Two years of work experience required; four or more years of work experience strongly desired.
Hours, Compensation, Start Date, and Location
This part-time position will start at 15 hours a week, compensated at an annual salary of $15,000. Hours and salary may be increased based on performance. The position will start as soon as possible, and no later than May 1, 2016. This is a telework position from a location of your choosing in the greater D.C. area.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to Francella Chinchilla, Chair, Board of Directors, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis.