Happy New Year from the Esperanza Education Fund! Thanks to your generous support, we have had an amazing first year. Below is a letter reviewing what we accomplished in 2009 and previewing what we aim to achieve in 2010.
As you read the letter, we hope you will consider making a year-end tax-deductible contribution — and help us to award $100,000 in scholarships next year — by clicking here.
Highlights of our inaugural year include:
- January: Incorporated as a 501(c)(3) public charity.
- March: Launched the capital region’s only college scholarship for immigrant students regardless of ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status.
- May: Awarded $50,000 in college scholarships to six promising immigrant students.
- August: Matched our scholars with mentors from the local community.
- October: Secured a generous grant from the District of Columbia Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs to help start a new scholarship program for GED recipients.
- December: Hosted a gala benefit concert at the Carnegie Institution with renowned pianist Elizabeth Joy Roe.
Best wishes for the new year,
The Esperanza Education Fund